The Council has spoken, the votes have been cast, and the results are in for this week’s Watcher’s Council match up.
“Intelligence plus character-that is the goal of true education.” – Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.” – Theodore Roosevelt
“In the first place God made idiots. This was for practice. Then he made school boards.” – Mark Twain
This week’s winning essay, Stately McDaniel Manor’s Racism In The Public Schools: Dead Or Alive? Is a professional educator’s look at rampant racism in the public schools…to wit, the racism and bigotry of low expectations. Here’s a slice:
Lyndon Baines Johnson was an old school, bare knuckles politician, hard-edged and bluntly obscene. He was very much reflective of his Democrat party, a party dedicated to segregation and the superiority of the white race. He is widely reported, in speaking about his “Great Society” plan, to have said:
“I’ll have those niggers voting Democratic for the next 200 years.”
Some claim Johnson never said such a thing, but it is certainly in line with his everyday speech and demeanor, and he certainly expressed similar sentiments. Johnson died in 1973, and thus far, he has been successful. Hook a people on government handouts, reward them for anti-social behaviors, convince them that hard work, honesty, reliability and obeying the law are for suckers, and they’ll support those that feed those beliefs–and their pocketbooks–with few exceptions. Black Americans, circa 2016, vote at rates of 90%, sometimes more, for Democrat candidates making those kinds of promises.”
To read the rest of the article, take the link or scroll down.
In our non-Council category, the winner was Professor Glenn Reynolds AKA Instapundit in USA Today with Dear attorneys general: conspiring against free speech is a crime submitted by Stately McDaniel Manor.
In it, Professor Reynolds notes a disturbing trend among various ‘progressive’ attorneys general to conspire – there is no other word for it – to use taxpayer funded resources to unconstitutionally prosecute thought crimes and political stances they disagree with. Fascism is alive and well in its original home on the Left.
Here are this week’s full results. The Right Planet was unable to vote and one member submitted only a first choice in each category, but neither was subject to the usual 2/3 penalty for not voting :
- *First place with 3 votes!–Stately McDaniel Manor – Racism In The Public Schools: Dead Or Alive?
- Second place with 2 2/3 votes –Bookworm Room – Was Mapplethorpe the moment we lost the battle for American culture?
- Third place with 2 votes –Nice Deb – The List: Political Retaliation in the Age of Obama
- Fourth place with 1 1/3 votes –The Noisy Room – The Panama Papers Scandal Ensnares Hillary Clinton
- Fifth place with 2/3 vote –The Razor – Stop Using Phobia To Describe Rational Fear or Hate
- Fifth place with 2/3 vote –Puma By Design – Colorado GOP’s Creep Factor
- Fifth place with 2/3 vote –Joshuapundit–The Unintended Education
- Sixth place with 1/3 vote – The Right Planet – The Collapse of Communism: The Untold Story
- Sixth place with 1/3 vote –The Glittering Eye –What Role Does Hesperophobia Play in Terror Attacks?
- First place with 2 1/3 votes! – Glenn Reynolds/USA Today –Dear attorneys general: conspiring against free speech is a crime: Glenn Reynolds Submitted by Stately McDaniel Manor
- Second place with 1 2/3 votes –Guy Benson/Townhall –Oops: ‘Disenfranchised’ Colorado Trump ‘Delegate’ Who Burned Voter Card…Was Neither Submitted by Nice Deb
- Second place with 1 2/3 votes –G. Oprea/The Federalist – How Islamists Are Slowly Desensitizing Europe And America Submitted by Joshuapundit
- Third place with 1 1/3 votes –Heather MacDonald/City Journal–When Pieties Collide Submitted by Bookworm Room
- Fourth place with 1 vote –Parag Khanna? The National Interest – China’s ‘Use It or Lose It’ Grand Strategy submitted by GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD
- Fourth place with 1 vote –Mark Steyn –The New Man and his Gender Gap Submitted by The Noisy Room
- Fifth place with 2/3 votes –Elliot A. Cohen/The American Interest –The Westerplatte Moment Submitted by The Razor
- Fifth place with 2/3 votes –Glenn Hubbard and Tim Kane/The Weekly Standard – Five Ways To Destroy The Economy Submitted by The Glittering Eye
- Fifth place with 2/3 votes –Moonbattery –Fracking Reduces Carbon emissions Submitted by The Daley Gator
- Sixth place with 1/3 vote –Diana West – Did US Choose War over Qaddafi’s Abdication? Submitted by The Right Planet
- Sixth place with 1/3 vote –The Onion – Shimmering Immaculate Republican Candidate Appears Before GOP Officials Submitted by The Watcher
See you next week!
Make sure to tune in every Monday for the Watcher’s Forum. and every Tuesday morning, when we reveal the weeks’ nominees for Weasel of the Week!
And remember, every Wednesday, the Council has its weekly contest with the members nominating two posts each, one written by themselves and one written by someone from outside the group for consideration by the whole Council. The votes are cast by the Council, and the results are posted on Friday morning.
It’s a weekly magazine of some of the best stuff written in the blogosphere, and you won’t want to miss it...or any of the other fantabulous Watcher’s Council content.