My Watcher’s Council colleagues have, once again, demonstrated their almost total lack of taste by recognizing my wretched scribblings. Sigh. Oh well. At the very least, read their articles, which, as always, are mind candy.
The Council has spoken, the votes have been cast, and the results are in for this week’s Watcher’s Council match up.
“You know why there’s a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one.” – Rush Limbaugh
““Guns are our friends because in a country without guns, I’m what’s known as “prey.” All females are.” “ – Ann Coulter
“[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation (where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” – James Madison
This weeks’ winning essay, Stately McDaniel Manor’s I Carry A Handgun, Because.. is a real treat, a beautifully written essay that explains exactly why the author chooses being armed as opposed to the alternative! Here’s a slice to whet your appetite for the entire feast:
I do not advertise the fact that I carry a concealed handgun, or that I am an instructor. However, on the occasions when this comes up, people are often amazed. Not because I am a diminutive wisp of a fellow–I’m anything but, and if I do say so myself, and I do, I’m roguishly masculine–but because I am an English teacher and singer, and my default facial expression is a smile. The resulting conversation usually goes like this:
Friend: “Really? You carry a gun?”
Me: “I carry a spear gun in the shower.”
Friend: “No!” The horror and surprise in their eyes is delightful to see.
Me: “No; but everywhere else.”
I usually hit on a few of the high points, issues of logic, common sense, gentle persuasion enabling those that already know me to accept a side of me previously unimagined.. Employing my most frequently used weapon–the keyboard–I’ll endeavor to explain.
I CARRY A HANDGUN BECAUSE:
* Evil exists and may confront anyone at any time and any place.
* I believe God exists and expects me to protect those that can’t protect themselves.
* Self-defense is a God-given, natural, unalienable right.
As the article is here at SMM, merely scroll down, or take this link for the rest:
In our non-Council category, the winner was noted Middle East commentatorRaymond Ibrahim with Is Islam Violent? Forget the Koran, Let’s Talk About Islam’s PROVEN Historical Record submitted by Joshuapundit. While he left out part of the story (the Indian Genocide during the Muslim conquest alone is estimated at between 1 and 20 million people), the basic point is fairly obvious.
Here are this week’s full results:
- *First place with 3 2/3 votes!–Stately McDaniel Manor – I Carry A Handgun, Because...
- Second place with 1 2/3 votes –Joshuapundit–Hostages, Ransoms, Iran, and Israel – Obama Lies Again
- Third place with 1 1/3 votes –VA Right! – McClatchy Report Poll Has Hillary +15 – Polls 50% Democrats and Only 38% Republicans – Unbelievable!
- Third place with 1 1/3 votes –Bookworm Room – The fatuous concerns of those 50 GOP “national security experts” challenging Trump
- Fourth place with 2/3 votes –Puma By Design – Hillary Clinton to Sycophantic Journalists When Asked About Black Friends: “They’ve tried to expand my musical tastes.”
- Fifth place with 1/3 vote –The Glittering Eye –We Are The Rich
- First place with 1 2/3 votes!– Raymond Ibrahim – Is Islam Violent? Forget the Koran, Let’s Talk About Islam’s PROVEN Historical Record Submitted by Joshuapundit
- Second place with 1 1/3 votes –Moon Of Alabama – The Larger Context Of The Jihadi Attack On Aleppo Submitted by The Glittering Eye
- Second place with 1 1/3 votes – Roger L. Simon/PJ Media –A HIllary Clinton Presidency Would Be An American Tragedy Submitted by Stately McDaniel Manor
- Third place with 1 vote –The National Interest – Why ISIS Fears Israel Submitted by GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD
- Third place with 1 vote –Politico Magazine – How To Hack An Election In 7 Minutes Submitted by The Watcher
- Fourth place with 2/3 votes –Ace of Spades HQ–Will The Establishment’s Stalking Horse for Hillary Blow Up the Republican Party? Submitted by Bookworm Room
- Fourth place with 2/3 votes –Glen Greenwald/The Intercept – Democrats’ Tactic of Accusing Critics of Kremlin Allegiance Has Long, Ugly History in U.S. Submitted by Puma By Design
- Fourth place with 2/3 votes –Andrew Michta – A Wake Up Call for Western Elites Submitted by The Razor
- Fifth place with 1/3 votes –Popehat – Lawsplainer: No, Donald Trump’s “Second Amendment” Comment Isn’t Criminal Submitted by VA Right!
- Fifth place with 1/3 votes –Betsy McCaughey/IBD – Voters Can Choose Envy Or Growth Submitted by The Watcher
See you next week!
Make sure to tune in every Monday for the Watcher’s Forum.
And remember, every Wednesday, the Council has its weekly contest with the members nominating two posts each, one written by themselves and one written by someone from outside the group for consideration by the whole Council. The votes are cast by the Council, and the results are posted on Friday morning.
It’s a weekly magazine of some of the best stuff written in the blogosphere, and you won’t want to miss it...or any of the other fantabulous Watcher’s Council content.